Integrys Energy Group is a diversified energy holding company with six regulated natural gas and electric utility operations under its umbrella: Michigan Gas Utilities, Minnesota Energy Resources Corp., North Shore Gas Co., People’s Gas Light and Coke Co., Wisconsin Public Service and Upper Peninsula Power. Combined, the company’s utilities serve more than 2.1 million customers in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin. It also provides retail energy supplies and service through its Integrys Energy Services subsidiary. Integrys reported sales of about $5.6 billion in 2013 and employed nearly 4,900 workers.
Integrys supports a wide range of charitable groups operating in its service areas in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin. The company’s giving is focused on the following areas:
- Arts and culture. Integrys supports projects that promote diversity and make the arts accessible to all people in its communities, including theater, dance, music, drama and museums.
- Community and neighborhood development. The company supports a range of nonprofit organizations dedicated to community improvement.
- Education. Integrys supports numerous educational programs, including those where businesses and educational institutions partner to provide career planning and mentorship opportunities. These efforts are often focused on youth, minorities and women.
- The environment. The company supports efforts to protect and encourage the wise use of natural resources, and other programs focused on the betterment of fish and wildlife, water and air quality, forests, energy efficiency, renewable energy and recycling.
- Health and human services. Integrys supports several programs that serve limited-income, senior and handicapped individuals, and other programs that promote health and wellness in its communities. Much of its support in this area goes to the United Way, which the company supports through direct corporate contributions and by facilitating employee and retiree gifts and volunteer service.
Much of its giving is conducted via its main operating subsidiaries—in particular, Wisconsin Public Service, People’s Gas and North Shore Gas. Most notably, the company supports the many philanthropic programs offered by the Wisconsin Public Service Foundation. Through direct grants, scholarships and other programs, the foundation supports the quality of life in the communities served by Integrys’ utilities.
Education is the primary area of support for the foundation, which offers numerous scholarships for children of WPS customers and the company’s employees, including:
- Larry L. Weyers Phuture Phoenix Scholarship. Named in honor of a former Integrys CEO, this scholarship recognizes a student who was a participant of the Phuture Phoenix program and will be attending the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
- Agribusiness/Forestry Scholarship. This program helps young people of the WPS service territory develop skills, leadership abilities and technical knowledge to meet the challenges of forestry, farming and farm-related activities.
- Wisconsin Technical College Scholarship. This scholarship provides graduating high school seniors with financial assistance to continue their education through enrollment in certain Wisconsin Technical Colleges.
- Linus M. Stoll Scholarship. This scholarship promotes technical college excellence by providing financial assistance to students who have demonstrated high academic standards, provided exemplary community service and exhibited leadership while attending high school.
The foundation also offers a Matching Gifts Program that provides a dollar-for-dollar match for employee donations to charity, up to $2,500 per employee per year, as well as a Dollars-for-Doers program that awards grants of up to $300 for nonprofits with which WPS employees volunteer.
For more information, visit the company’s website.